Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Book I'm Loving

As you all know, I've been unwell (getting there!  Apparently it's common for sinusitis to last quite a while), and as a result have been doing lots of reading.  My latest read has been the below;



The New Optimum Nutrition Bible

Patrick Holford


This book was a gift from my brother & his partner (who apparently chose it, clever lady), that I got some time last year and didn't get a chance to get into until this past few weeks.  I've super enjoyed it.  


Why did I like it?

Simple!  It lays down a lot of information about nutrition, vitamins and minerals, both through food and supplements, without reading like a text book.  Although it endorses a vegetarian diet, he is never preachy and gives advice if you just don't want to be vegetarian.  Although he recommends supplements (more than anything I've ever read, actually), he never says x brand - he teaches you what to look for according to your needs and how to read supplement labels.  Mixed in with hundreds of facts from various studies, it's just plain good.  He made me realise holes in my own diet and areas where I've tapered off and as a result, I have changed the way I eat a little.  I have also, for the first time in my life, started taking some supplements.  It really makes you realise how true 'you are what you eat' is.  



What didn't I like?

It was very, very in support of supplements to the point where it fails to mention that many supplements interact with existing medication or may effect some people negatively for various reasons.  That being said, I have a few chapters left, but I think they will only include toxicity levels of vitamins and minerals.  



Who do I recommend it for?

Although it doesn't read like a text book, you won't enjoy it if you don't have an interest in health or nutrition already (and on that, you probably won't enjoy my blog!).  He does recommend a lot of supplements, so I'd recommend strong people who can take it with a grain of salt and not freak out that they're missing out on x and y read it.  I wouldn't give it to somebody who's known for following diets from books or anything.  He offers you a way, through asking you questions and scoring your answers, to form your own supplement program, but I would still recommend seeing a qualified nutritionist or dietitian over starting popping pills based on a book and the opinion of one man.  Even if he seems great, he is one man writing a book for everyone.  A professional knows how to tailor a diet and program to you.


Has anyone else read this book?

Stay well,
Nat x



2 comments:

  1. Great post, i'm going to download this for my Kindle. i am getting really interested in Nutrition and this looks like a good starting point :)

    ReplyDelete