Sunday, July 24, 2011

Weekend Bake; Apricot and Maple Muffins

So to say Mr. LL and I have been indulging ourselves with food lately would be a serious understatement. From the amazing food purchased throughout the Yarra Valley to the dinner we hosted for some friend's birthdays last night, we're both feeling a little over the heaviness.

So for my bake this week I sought out a recipe that would satisfy the sweet craving but still provide some nutrients, (and maybe a little less of the 'blergh' factor). These muffins have turned out super tasty and are very dense and moist, making them very satisfying and filling. They also contain fibre, iron & potassium - better than you're average choc-chip version. Definitely one for the healthier alternative file!



Apricot and Maple Muffins





I;
2 eggs
250ml semi-skimmed milk
2 tbsp oil
3 tbsp natural yoghurt (I used Greek Yoghurt, youl could use whatever you have)
50g All Bran (any bran flakes will work)
225g plain white flour (I used 150g wholemeal plain and 75g plain white - worked well)
1tbsp baking powder
25g muscovado sugar (I only used a tbsp)
125g dried apricots, chopped (I used 100g)
50g sultanas (I used 75g)
2 tbsp maple syrup (I used pure maple syrup)

M;
Preheat over to 180c (fan forced - 170c)/gas mark 5. Line a large muffin tin with 8-10 paper cases or grease proof paper.
In a measuring jug, combine eggs, milk, olive oil, yoghurt and bran. Set aside.
Sift four and baking powder into a bowl, then stir in sugar and dried fruit.
Add the egg mixture and mix well until smooth.
Spoon mixture into muffin cases.
Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and cooked through (insert a skewer to the middle and if it comes out clean, they're done).
Remove from oven.
Allow the muffins to cook for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and brush with maple syrup.



Very simple, very yummy! My terrible photos don't do them justice.

Aside from what is stated in the ingredients, I also added 1 cap full of vanilla essence and a teaspoon of cinnamon as I thought they needed a boost. It worked a treat.




Much healthier than the caramel slice I have in the fridge, although the muffins would be amazing warm, with butter...

Did you bake this weekend?

Stay well,
Nat x

3 comments:

  1. mmm theres nothing like a good muffin! I made some apple, cinnamon and walnut muffins today :) Yours looks healthy too- yoghurt in muffins is always great!
    Hannah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yum! these look great! I did bake actually - 100 calorie chocolate cupcakes! oh boy they're good! :) recipe link is on my blog! im definitely going to try these out! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!!!
    I'm not a muffin person by any means but I imagine H would LOVE these!!!

    ReplyDelete